Monday, July 28, 2008

Have you lifted a heart lately?

I love reading books where I learn things! I just re-read "The Secret Life of Bees" and there are many lessons in this book but one in particular is about lifting another person's heart. In the story Lily asks August why she painted her house pink. August replies that her sister May (who is a little different) went with her to the paint store and fell in love with a bright pink color. And although August wanted to paint the house beige, she decided to go with the pink. Her reasoning was "some things in life don't matter much - like the color of a house. How big is that in the overall scheme of life? But lifting a person's heart - that matters. The whole problem with people is they know what matters - but they don't choose it." Now I'm not sure I would have chosen to live in a pink house - but how many opportunities do we have to choose what will lift someone's heart? And how often do we miss those? I would love to incorporate this idea into my daily life - at least begin to see those moments. What do you think?

No comments: